Welcome to The Mommy Concept

I thank you for visiting my Blog and hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Slow Cooker Lamb Stew

I have been thinking of having more of a stew lately, and wanted to make it with lamb. I think I saw a Diner's Drive-In's and Dives episode where a lady put a lamb dish over couscous...anyways that gave me the inspiration for this dish. When I was at Whole Foods the other day, I bought some Israeli Couscous in bulk. If you haven't tried it, it's more of a pearl size when cooked, which we find is easier for the girls to eat, and easier for us to clean up off the floor. : ) I also asked the meat guy what he would recommend for the lamb portion of the lamb stew. He suggested boneless shoulder cut and chopped it into stew-size pieces for me. Since I only got a pound, and didn't check for recipes prior to going to the store, I made up my own concoction. Here it is:
  • 1 lb-Lamb Stew Meat
  • 1 Medium-Onion chopped
  • 5-6 Carrots chopped
  • Handful-Kale chopped
  • 1-Zucchini chopped
  • 1/2-1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
  • 1-Sweet Potato chopped
  • 1 Stalk-Celery chopped
  • 1 Can  (14.5oz)-Fire Roasted / Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Cup-Beef Broth
  • 1 Cup-Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 tsp-Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp-Coriander
  • 1 tsp-Cumin
  • Sprinkle of dried Cilantro
  • Salt / Pepper to taste
  • 2 Cups-Dried Israeli Couscous + 2.5 Cups-Water (or Broth)
  • 1 Tbsp+- Olive Oil
I threw all of the above ingredients, minus the couscous, into the slow cooker and set it to high, with a little drizzle of olive oil. Originally it looks a bit low on the liquid, but as it's cooking, everything is starting to release their juices. For the Israeli  Couscous, put 2 cups in a pot with 1 Tbsp olive oil and lightly toast, about 3 minutes. Add 2.5 cups water to this and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer, cooking an additional 8-10 minutes. For added flavor, broth can be added to the couscous instead of plain water. If too much water remains in the pot, drain the couscous as you would any other pasta. Serve the lamb stew over the couscous. A nice green salad and red wine would pair well with this. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it is tonight. It looks yummy!

















1 comment:

  1. Dinner was amazing! I loved it!! The stew was great, nothing like I've had before. I will definitely make this again!

    ReplyDelete