I had some ground lamb that I wanted to use for dinner, and decided to make a Greek themed dinner. The dinner has flavors of a Gyro, and was super tastey! I've also heard that lamb is fine, even if you're Vegetarian. ) Here's how to make it.
- 1lb Ground Lamb (just as a side note...you could substitute any ground meat)
- 1/2 Zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 Red Pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced)
- Whole Wheat Pita (4 whole or 8 halves)
- 2/3 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Cucumber (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 Green Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 Lemon (squeezed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsps Greek Seasoning (I use McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- Feta (to top pita burger)
- Fresh Greens (to top)
Mix ground lamb, grated zucchini, finely chopped red pepper, minced garlic, salt/pepper and 1 tsp Greek seasoning together and form into 4 patties. If you had other greens on hand, such as Spinach or Kale, you could finely chop that and add it to the burgers. Meanwhile mix the yogurt, lemon juice, diced cucumber, chopped green onion, salt/pepper and 1 tsp Greek seasoning together. For grilling, you may want to oil the grates as the burgers are a bit wet and can stick if not well seared. To assemble, lightly toast pita halves. Cut burgers in half and place a half in each half of pita. Top with greens, cucumber sauce and feta. Good sides may be a salad and some roasted potatoes...and as always...a nice red wine. This was a great dinner and tasted very fresh! Opa!