Welcome to The Mommy Concept

I thank you for visiting my Blog and hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

An Extra Special Delivery

I was thinking about Elia's birth yesterday and was laughing to myself at how she was wrapped up in the umbilical cord. She had it wrapped around her neck twice. Luckily, we did not have any heart rate decelerations or complications, but knowing the little girl she is, I'm not at all surprised. She loves to spin around in circles and also loves to put stuff around her head and neck. What a silly girl!

It was an early Friday morning when we checked in at Elmbrook Memorial Hospital. It felt so peaceful, and yet so weird for me that I was going to be having a baby later that day. By 7:30 am I was hooked up to the fetal monitor and was getting ready to have my IV of Pitocin started. Surprisingly I was having pretty strong contractions about 5-7 minutes apart, and I didn't even know it. I thought I would try to deliver Elia without pain medicine, but thought I could always get an epidural placed later if I couldn't take it.

With Elia being the squirmy worm she is, she was completely twisted and needed to rotate in order to be born. So...needless to say I spent many of painful contrtactions on my knees trying to get her to turn. What a good girl, she turned just as she was supposed to.

By 8.5 cm I was ready to die. I remember being told to relax, but I thought if I let go my insides would fall out. At that time I couldn't manage the pain any longer, and by about 1:30 we had the anesthesiologist, who came out of surgery to place my epidural, up in the room working his magic. Who knew that an anesthesiologist could be your best friend? He was mine!

Within an hour of getting my epidural, Elia was born. I remember giving her a kiss, and it was in that moment that I was a Mom. All of my fears about whether or not I was ready, whether I would be a good Mom, were gone. I was a Mom, and I knew I was going to do everything possible to be the best Mom I could for her.

There was the most peaceful moment when I was lying in bed while Elia was being cleaned, weighed and measured with the nurses and DJ, and I knew my life was complete. I could not have been more content at that moment.

Little ones are so amazing! I'm so lucky to be Elia's Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment