Welcome to The Mommy Concept

I thank you for visiting my Blog and hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Delving into Mayonnaise

Some people dislike the taste of mayonnaise, however, I am one that does like it in moderation. I do enjoy the occasional egg salad sandwich, and sometimes use it in making homemade vegetable dip. Like many of you, I have purchased Kraft's Mayo made with Olive Oil, and no doubt a Hellmann's variety as well. Did you see it's 1/2 the fat and just looks like it would be more healthy? To my disappointment, and I knew this would happen, the ingredient label is ridiculous. Laden with artificial / processed garbage, to make it shelf stable no doubt, it has absolutely no right entering one's body. So much of the food we think is healthy, or at least "healthier" is filled with junk. DJ recently told me that an oatmeal from McDonald's, which I've never thought to try, has as much sugar in it as a can of soda. All I can say is WHY? The person choosing the oatmeal at McDonald's is no doubt thinking they are going with the "healthier" option. Well anyways, this is about mayonnaise, I'll touch base on fake food later.

So now how do I make the egg salad that I was planning on for dinner? I know...I'll make homemade mayonnaise. Guessing I most likely added too much oil in at the beginning, a runny mess was all I was left with. Also, when they make it in the food processor on tv, it looks so simple...my mess kept leaking out of the cover. What was with that? I have a nice KitchenAid processor, so why did it leak when the cover was on? Seriously runny ruined mess. Not happening. Next idea...??

I'll use yogurt instead! We have plenty of that on hand, and only buy organic plain whole milk yogurt. Best idea ever! The egg salad turned out great, and was simple to make.

Ingredients:
  • 6 Hard Boiled Eggs (Peeled and Diced)
  • 1-2 Stalks Celery (Finely Diced)
  • 2 Tbsps Onion (Finely Diced)
  • 3-4 Tbsps Whole Plain Yogurt
  • 1 tsp Mustard
  •  Garlic Powder (1/2 tsp or as much as you like)
  • Mural of Flavor (or other seasoning you like)
  • Salt and Pepper 
I mixed the sauce separate so I could make sure it tasted alright, but afterwards just combined it all. It tastes great, and I'm pretty sure Lily likes it...she licked the spoon clean, along with help from Barley the Dog. So don't fret if you are out of mayonnaise, don't want the garbage in your body, or maybe don't like the flavor. Yogurt can be a good substitute. Also, if you're going to purchase mayonnaise, try the Ojai Cook Lemonaise (not the Light version) or look for something that is in the refrigerated section. Best is to always check the food label. 

No comments:

Post a Comment